For one who made Metro Manila his or her home for a long time, the mention of the word “farming” or “coffee farming” brings to mind the need of being under the scorching heat of the sun and, during rainy season, wading through muddy fields.
That should not always be the case.
There is more to coffee farming than meets the eye based on our recent trip this year to the Nestle Experimental and Demo Farm (NEDF) in Tagum, Davao Del Norte. It is so awe inspiring that I wish someday I will be able to have my own coffee farm.
Fun Facts about Coffee
- Coffee is big business — it’s one of the most heavily traded commodities in the world.
- Did you know that coffee has no calories? It is naturally a no calorie drink.
- 400 billion cups of coffee are consumed worldwide, making it the most popular beverage.
- 91% of coffee consumed is taken at breakfast.
- 79% of coffee consumed is served from the homes of coffee drinkers.
- The second place where coffee is most consumed is in the workplace.
- A coffee drinker averages 2-3 cups of coffee a day.