Finally after 15 years, the Senate finally ratified on Tuesday the “Kasambahay” bill which sets the following benefits for household workers:
- A monthly minimum wage of domestic workers at Php 2,500 for those working in
the National Capital Region. Please note that househelpers working in chartered cities and first-class municipalities
will receive a minimum wage of Php 2,000 and for those in other
municipalities, Php 1,500.
- Overtime pay after 8 hours of work a day
- At least 8 hours of rest per day
- 24 hrs. break once a week
- Total cost of Php 368.00 per month must be paid by the employer for the domestic worker’s SSS, Pag-ibig and Philhealth, if salary is less than Php 5,000
- The domestic worker is entitled to 13th month pay.
The following requirements are needed to be submitted by the household workers to DOLE
- Birth Certificate
- Baptismal Certificate
- Baranggay Clearance
- NBI Clearance
A contract must be signed by the employer and the household worker. Said contract should be in a language or dialect understood by both parties. The contract is renewable every year.
The Kasambahay bill will give dignity and respect to some 2 million domestic household workers.