Pentax 645D, not your average toy for the big boys.
Pentax 645D key features:
- On top of the list is its resolution, 40-megapixels using a Kodak-made sensor.
- Its base ISO is 200 with 1000 being the top speed. This range can be extended to give the equivalent ISO speeds of 100 and 1600.
- The 645D is the first medium-format DSLR to have a dust removal system. The system vibrates the UV/IR-cut filters in front of the sensor at supersonic speeds to shake loose any dust.
- Despite the large sensor and solid build, the 645D is a portable and quick to use camera.
- It is also weather-proofed to enhance its appeal to outdoor and location photographers. Existing Pentax 645 owners will be delighted to learn that the 645D is compatible with their lenses.
- The ergonomically molded hand grip is excellent with the result that the camera feels great in the hands, and very well balanced too – at least with the new D FA 55mm f/2.8 AL (IF) SDM AW lens.
- Switching from landscape to portrait-format shooting is no problem at all
- Key controls like the shutter button fall naturally to finger.
- Despite the large reflex mirror flapping up and down, the noise and vibration levels are impressively low.
- Design is very clear and the monitor is good.
- Buttons are well spaced for easy handling.
- Exposure mode dial has a lock function.
- All the controls fall nicely to finger.
- Big reflex mirror that is light on its feet.
- Comes with a 55mm f/2.8 standard lens.
- Pentax claim 13 Raws at the continuous shooting speed of 1.1 frames-per-second until the buffer is full.
- Quick autofocusing
- Quiet, low vibration shutter action
- Bright viewfinder image
Even before digital cameras came in, 35mm was already considered small compared to 120mm, or more popularly known as medium format, which was the tool of choice by most professional photographers. Medium format cameras gave better picture quality which suited industry standards, specifically requirements on large format printing and advertising.
Today, digital photography broke new grounds for consumers, who gained easy access to digital single lens reflex (DSLR) cameras. This access to technology led to the growth of people’s interest in photography, which cultivated a trend where anyone can be a “photographer.”
And as digital photography got more advanced, more and more enthusiasts and professional photographers alike aspired to get the latest and more powerful tools. A full frame DLSR is the most sought-after camera for many photographers, but a medium format DLSR such as Pentax 645D will definitely change the way how to look at a more professionally made photograph than the others.
Just recently, Super East Asia Enterprise, Inc., the sole distributor of Pentax cameras here in the Philippines, held the “Pentax 645D Touch, Try, Experience” event at the DPI XL Studios in Makati City. With Creative Directors and Professional Photographers in attendance, they all wanted to try out and experience the Pentax 645D’s superior performance with regard to image quality.
Boasting an effective 40-megapixel medium format (44x33mm) CCD sensor that provides top resolution of 7264×5440 pixels, the Pentax 645D is suitable for ultra-high resolution imaging, perfect for large format printing applications and has an outstanding cropping flexibility.
The Pentax 645D is also weather proof as its design resists rain, snow, dust and other environmental hazards during on-location shoots and still maintains peak camera performance. Its magnesium alloy body around its rigid aluminum die-cast chassis gives it durability and thermal stability yet lightweight at the same time.
There will also be no problems with lens compatibility as the Pentax 645D can use D FA autofocus lenses and older 645 lenses, which gives it a wide range of photographic applications. Its 3-inch LCD screen is equipped with anti-reflective coating and reinforced glass surface, and also features 921,000 dots of resolution which enables it to provide a 32x image review magnification for better on-camera proofing. And its high capacity Li-Ion battery can take up to 800 shots in normal shooting conditions.
Though a single unit of Pentax 645D may cost photographers around P600,000, it is still competitively priced if ranged against a camera of the same capability yet costs a million pesos or more. And even if the Pentax 645D is not your ordinary “toy for the big boys,” it is still a must-have tool for men (or women) of profession.
Overall, the Pentax 645D is definitely a good investment for most professional photographers, especially for those who specialize in weddings, portraits or products as it can set their services apart from other photographers. A Pentax 645D in hand will definitely take your photography expertise to the next level.
For more information about the Pentax 645D camera and where to buy, visit camerahaus.com or call (+632) 570-8415.