10 Ways to Improve Memory
1. Exercise Regularly. Studies shows that aerobic fitness may reduce the loss of brain tissue during aging.
2. Stick to a Healthy Diet. Avoid sugar and saturated fats. Eat lots of antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables, such as spinach and beets. The magnesium in dark green, leafy vegetables appears to help maintain your memory.
3. Learn New Things. Mastering activities you’ve never done before, such as playing the piano or learning a foreign language, stimulates neuron activity.
4. Get Enough Sleep. Too little sleep impairs concentration.
5. Devise Memory Strategies. Make notes or underline key passages to help you remember what you’ve read. Invent your own mneumonics for remembering things.
6. Socialize. Conversation, especially positive, meaningful interaction, helps maintain brain function.
7. Get Organized. Designate a place for important items such as keys and checkbooks. Keep checklists for things such as daily medications or items to pack when you travel.
8. Turn Off the Box. Experts say too much TV watching weakens your brainpower.
9. Jot Down New Information. Writing helps transfer items from short to long term memory.
10. Solve Brainteasers. Crossword puzzles, card games, and board games such as Scrabble improve your memory.
*From HEALTH TODAY MAGAZINE AUGUST 2008