REFER TO THE MAP SECTION FOR FINDING THE PLACES BELOW.
Comprehensive Shopping Guides:
Outlet Information: http://www.hongkongextras.com/_outlet_shops.html
Major Sale Season: July 1 to August 31 (Extends up to 1st week of September)
Shopping in HK outside the Sale Season Reminder:
Without a Sale, shopping for clothes/apparel in HK is generally expensive except maybe for some widely-available brands like Giordano, Bossini and Uniqlo. For those who plan to shop, it’s best to go when there’s a Sale.
If the thing you are planning to buy is available here in Manila, make sure to check the local price first as a reference point. This way you’ll know whether the stores in Hong Kong are cheaper or not.
ALL ABOUT ELECTRONICS
DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM ELECTRONICS STORES ALONG NATHAN ROAD. THIS IS THE GOLDEN RULE.
If you are going to buy a camera/lens below P20k, rid yourself of all the hassles, worries and warranty concerns and just buy your camera here in Manila (Hidalgo, Quiapo behind SM Quiapo). If you are going to get a Canon (which i highly recommend for everyone), all the stores in Quiapo offers the Canon Philippines Warranty so you don’t have to worry about anything. As for lens and other accessories, make sure you know the Manila price as a price reference.
Apple has a universal price worldwide but the US has a significantly lower price. As for HK, the difference is not that big. For reference, you can visit Apple Hong Kong’s Online Store.
Bottomline: YES MOST ELECTRONICS (Laptops/Digicams) ARE CHEAPER IN HK. However, there will always be risks in buying electronics abroad, Hong Kong is not an exception. If you think you are willing to take the risk of buying a very expensive item like laptops abroad including the risk of getting taxed upon return to Manila, go ahead. A lot of brands do NOT have international warranties which means when you have a problem, you cannot have them fixed in Manila. Lenovo and Asus as far as I know, have international warranties. Rarely do you find the same case for digital cameras.
How To Avoid Getting Ripped Off:
1. Before going to HK, know the item you want to buy and the price of the item in Manila and in the US (ie. Amazon.com).
2. Do not enter a store with zero knowledge of your target item, you will be victimized by “sales talk”. Do your research at home.
3. Do not let store staff open sealed items when you don’t have intentions of buying the item yet.
4. Do not give your credit card or money until you are in possession of a brand new / sealed version of the item.
5. Check your item thoroughly after paying and check if the box includes everything it should have.
6. If an item suddenly becomes out of stock, leave the store immediately and ignore their explanations.
7. Avoid stores with no locals inside or stores with aggressive and “friendly” staff on the lookout for customers.
8. If the price is too good to be true, chances are, it is.
Stores Inside Big Shopping Malls – Low Risk but prices are similar to Manila
Stores Along Nathan Road – Extremely High Risk | Avoid at all costs
Around Causeway Bay (excluding Windsor House) – High Risk | Mostly Unsafe
Wanchai Computer Center – Low to Medium Risk
Mongkok (Sai Yeung Choi) – Low to Medium Risk
Here are our recommended stores but BUY AT YOUR OWN RISK. We are not responsible for any mishaps you might encounter.
Where to Buy Digital Cameras / Accessories
1. Kam Fai Electronics, Mody Road (Nathan Road Side), Tsim Sha Tsui
2. Suntek Electronics, Haiphong Road, Tsim Sha Tsui
3. Wing Shing or Man Shing in Mongkok (Sai Yeung Choi Street)
4. Big chain stores such as Fortress, CMK, Hollywood, Broadway and Coxell
5. DC Career, 298 Computer Mall, Hennessy road, Wan Chai
6. DG, shop 162, Wan Chai Computer Centre, Wanchai MTR exit A4
7. Sim City, Mongkok (corner sai yeung choi and shantung streets)
8. New Sankyo, near Holiday Inn Golden Mile, Tsim Sha Tsui
Where to Buy PSP/DS/PS3 and other gaming consoles
Atatbo Game Shop, shop 15, Golden Shopping Centre, Sham Shui Po
Golden Computer Arcade, Sham Shui Po
Where to Buy Computer Related Electronics including Laptops
1. Golden Computer Arcade, Sham Shui Po, Kowloon
2. Wan Chai Computer Center, Wanchai, HK Island
3. Mongkok Computer Center
Where to Buy Audio/Video, Home Theatre Equipment
Tim Chi (Grandcastle Commercial Center)
2T Sai Yeung Choi Street South
Mongkok MTR Sai Yeung Choi exit
SHUN CHEONG RECORD Co., Ltd
room 801, Bank Centre, 636 Nathan Road
Mong Kok, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Where to Buy Toys / Models / Anime-related Stuff
1. CTMA CENTRE, Sai Yeung Choi St., Mongkok
2. Kwong Wa Street, Mongkok (Intersection of Tung Choi and Dundas Street)
3. Yin Choi Street, Mongkok
Where to Buy Clothes
Malls – Times Square, Harbour City, Langham Place, Citygate Outlet Mall, Silvercord Mall, Sogo
Granville Road and Granville Circuit
Causeway Bay – Island Beverly, etc
Mongkok – Ladies Market, Argyle Centre, Mongkok New Town Mall beside Argyle Centre
Baleno, Bossini, Giordano, H&M, Uniqlo, Esprit etc
Citygate Outlet Mall
Tsim Sha Tsui – Nathan Road, Jordan Road, Canton Road, Granville Road, Kimberley Road, Sogo, Harbour City, etc.
Harbour City – Medium to High End
Silvercord Mall – Medium to High-End
Times Square – Medium to High-End
Sogo – Cheap to Medium
Langham Place – Medium
Citygate – Cheap to Medium
Festival Walk – Cheap to Medium
Shatin New Town Plaza – Cheap to Medium
Miramar Shopping Center – Cheap to Medium
Where to Buy Original Cosmetics / Perfume (and other personal effects)
Lung Shing, Granville Road, TST
Where to Buy Disney Items
HK Airport Terminal 2 Shop
Where to Buy Souvenirs
Ladies Market, Mongkok
Temple Street Night Market, Yaumatei
Side Streets of Tsim Sha Tsui
Hong Kong Transportation Souvenirs – http://www.80mbusmodel.com/menu-6.html
Where To Buy Jewelry
There are reputable chain stores like Chow Tai Fook but if you have zero background, just buy in Manila’s Chinatown (Binondo).
You will not necessarily get a better price/product in HK being a tourist with no knowledge.
H&M in Hong Kong
Tsim Sha Tsui Branch Now Open – Along Canton Road
Uniqlo in Hong Kong
THE ANNUAL HONGKONG SHOPPING FESTIVAL
Scheduled from JULY 1 – AUGUST 31. This happens every year. However, after these dates, they usually have a LAST FEW PIECES SALE/ LAST CHANCE SALEduring the first few weeks of September. When this happens, you will find items as low as 70% off. But the BEST TIME TO CATCH GREAT SALE ITEMS WOULD BE DURING THE FIRST FEW WEEKS OF JULY.
This is the best time to go if you want clothes suitable for Philippine weather. Although there are occasional clearance sales during other times of the year (and of course, outlet stores are always on sale), but the items aren’t the ones you can wear here.
DO TAKE NOTE OF THE SEASONS THEY FOLLOW IN HONG KONG. They go by: Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall. Summer Months in Hong Kong fall on the months of June-August.
REFER TO THE MAP SECTION FOR FINDING THE PLACES BELOW.
In Hong Kong, a SALE is a SALE. Guaranteed.